Friday, September 28, 2012

A Letter to the Past

As much as I would like to say that we should spend our time focused on the present, I  believe that there is a lot that we can learn from reflecting on the past and where it  has got us to this point. After all, we all have heard that quote by Robert Santayana,"Those who cannot remember that past are condemned to repeat it." I believe this is very true and as much as I am happy with the person I have become, I wish that my younger self could have had some advice to help  her get through it. I recently just started my first year of college and walking into class the first day brought back thoughts of walking into to high school for the first time and what I wish I would've known then. If I could talk to that girl now, this is what I would've told her:

When you start your first day of high school, I want you to keep in mind that high school isn't always like in the movies and on TV. The things that you wish would happen probably won't and the things that you don't probably will. But remember to keep your head up and persevering no matter how much you want to sit and cry (which at times you will) and things will get better. No matter how much people talk it up, homecoming isn't as great as they make it out to be, but you will still have fun when you are with people who you can be yourself around. Speaking of being yourself, no one is worth changing who you are. Because even though you have your flaws (don't worry, we all do) you are wonderful and nothing you try to be could compare. When you join Yearbook, realize how lucky you are to be a part of it. You work will be something that you will be proud of and your closest friends will come from that club. When that girl is mean to you who you thought was your friend (you will know who I am talking about) stick up for yourself and don't let her make you think less of yourself. As much as you may not like how she treated you, having to go through that will prove something to yourself that you never realized before. Her best friend will also become yours, so whenever you get mad at her, think of the new friendship that you got out of the old one.  Don't be afraid to go against the crowd and start your own path, people will respect you for your beliefs and you will too. Do not ever forget how lucky you are to have your family. They are you ultimate blessing. Finally,whenever you feel alone, or like you don't fit in, remember you could never be alone if you tried and not fitting in high school isn't thing in the world. Don't worry, no matter what, you will always be okay. 

We cannot change the past, only learn from it. Themes in my letter to my younger self will always pop up in life, no matter how old I get. If I can ingrain the lessons in my memory now, hopefully I can spare myself some pain in the future. But we don't all need a letter to the past to bring things to light that we wish we would've known. We can just reflect, realize what we have been lucky enough to learn from all our experiences, and apply them to the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment