Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Generation's Shadow

Every generation is defined by an event. From WWII to JFK's assassination to Watergate to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, there is always a central moment that when we look back in history, we realize that it is part of our generation's story and definition. My generation stands in a shadow, two shadows to be exact. We stand in the shadow of the World Trade Center Towers. Our event, our moment, is 9/11.

I was only seven when the Twin Towers came down and yet I can remember the day with absolute clarity. I remember coming into our classroom at 8:30 (9:30 in NYC) and one of the kids asking about what happened in New York. Our teacher then proceeded to draw two rectangles on the board, the Twin Towers, and say that planes had hit them. The rest of the day, while we worked on projects, teachers watched the TV in horror and besides the basic information we were given, we were been left in the dark. I also remember that I lost a tooth at school that day and going home to tell my mom who didn't respond whole-heartily. I remember that night watching George W. Bush speak on TV. I remember the tears, I remember the heartache. I remember that sense of American unity that the next day carried when I think about when we stood around the flag outside our school and sang God Bless the USA. I remember a lot, much more than those younger than me do.

My generation grew up in the shadows of heroes who risked their lives, those who died, on 9/11. We grew up in the shadows of the wars, both military and political, that followed. But with each anniversary of the day, I began to understand 9/11 and its consequences. I also began to learn about all those who died senselessly on that day. I learned stories that touched me and inspired me about that day, many that will stick with me forever. It scares me to think that their are children growing up today who don't know about 9/11, who will not truly understand it, who will not get the emotion of it, like I don't get that of Pearl Harbor. 9/11 is a day that needs to be taught about in schools through the stories of those there and the stories of those lost. Kids growing up need to know what that kind of terror looks like, but even more they need to know what heroes that can come out of it look like, too.

Yes, my generation grew up in the Twin Towers shadow. But because of this, we do know what heroes and true heroism looks like. We know what it means to be brave. We know what it means to have to fight for one's country. We know what it means to have to honor those lost.

So, on September 11th, don't forget the sacrifices made, the heroes born, and the lessons the countries had to learn because of the day.





No comments:

Post a Comment