Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Give Thanks

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am always struck by this quote by H.U. Westermayer: "The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving." Hundreds of years ago, these Pilgrims landed in America with little to their name and little resources to help them survive.  Yet, these people who could have chosen to be angry at God and their circumstances, chose gratitude instead because after all, they were still alive and they still had some means to survive.

How different is this from the American culture today, where, to many around the world, we are seen as selfish, greedy,and narcissistic? We rarely take the time to give thanks and really reflect on all our blessings. We instead chose that way that the Pilgrims chose against. We choose to be angry at our circumstances, at others, and God. We choose not to be grateful for what is in front of us. In America, Thanksgiving has, in a way, lost its meaning. When people think of Thanksgiving, they think of food, a day off, and the sales that follow the next day. Or at least the sales used to follow the next day. This year, stores are opening earlier than ever, some at 8 PM, pulling their employees away from their families and friends for a mandatory work day. So now, instead of people appreciating what they have on Thanksgiving, they go and buy more.

We need to get back to original meaning of Thanksgiving. We need to get back to the meaning that the Pilgrims gave it when they sat down with the Native Americans and cherished their blessings, giving thanks. Although the Pilgrims didn't always get it right (specifically with what they did to the Native Americans after) being grateful and expressing that they were was something that they did. So let me start out with what I am grateful for this Thanksgiving, all of which have previously had their own posts.

First off, I am a grateful for my family. As much as we may take it for granted, family is one of the most special things that one has in their life. Family, be it by biological or emotional bond, is full of people who will be there to support you just because you are you...just because you belong to them. For me, family is my everything and I would be completely lost without them. They provide me support, laughter, love, and happiness. By being around them, I learn lessons that I might have never have learned otherwise. They are my teachers. When I am around my family, I am the me I want to be, I don't have to fake it for anyone.

One of the other things in my life I am grateful for is books. This might seem like a different one, but they make up a big part of my life and who I am. I would not be where I am without books. From books, I have learned many lessons and experienced many journeys. Because of them, I am going to be a writer. I can only hope that my work has the impact on others as the work of my favorite authors did on me. What I love the most about books is that when you find one that is really good, you feel as though the big complicated world, isn't as big and complicated anymore. The world makes more sense after reading an amazing book. For everyone in the world, there is at least one book that they can relate to, even though they are probably not the same one for everyone. When one finds a book that they can relate to, especially a character they can, they feel understood. When they feel understood, the world isn't as lonely and scary anymore.

In life, when a moment occurs, it is easy to pass it off as inconsequential at the time. For this reason, I am thankful for reflection and all the moments that have gotten to me to this point today. From where I am standing today, I am able to look back at all that has happend to me, good or bad, magnificent or terrible, and say that that particular moment taught me something. I able to say that because I went through it, I am a better person today then I was before then. WIth every moment, I learned a little bit more about myself that helped me to become a person I can be relatively proud of today.

So, before you enter a food coma and later go out shopping, remember the meaning of the Thanksgiving and tell those you care about how grateful you are for them. Realize that around the world, there are many, many people in worse off positions than yourself. Take time to acknowledge that you are lucky. Take time to be thankful for that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment